On the First Things blog, Amanda Shaw posts about Washington’s euthanasia proposal:
….Following are some of the key facts, from the International Task Force on Euthanasia and Assisted Suicide:
• The Assisted Suicide Initiative does not require that family members be notified when a doctor is going to help a loved one commit suicide.• The Assisted Suicide Initiative has no safeguards for the patient after the prescription is written.
• The Assisted Suicide Initiative does not insure that abuse or the number of deaths from assisted suicide would ever be known.
• Of the over $3 million donated to the Assisted Suicide Initiative campaign, $2 million has been given by assisted-suicide advocacy groups, and campaign spokesperson former Governor Booth Gardner and his family.
• The Assisted Suicide Initiative would give government health programs, managed care programs and HMOs the opportunity to approve prescriptions for suicide to cut costs.
• The Assisted Suicide Initiative could victimize minorities, people with disabilities and poor people.
The complete text of the Washington Death with Dignity Act is here….